Nov 29 2007
President Ed Fickes called the meeting to order at 1000 hours at the Fort Logan VFW Post 9644,
Minutes and Treasurer’s Report. Secretary/Treasurer Jim McNamee presented the minutes from the September 15th meeting, which were approved without changes (Motion-Mike Law, Second-Doug Neil). Jim also presented the Treasurer’s Report for October and explained the footnotes. The report was approved (Motion-Mike Law, Second-Doug Neil).
December 8th VA Hospital Visit. Jim reported that the dates for both the VA Hospital Cookie Event and Greg Mann’s party had been changed to December 8th because of a conflict that the VA representative had forgotten. The VA representative and Greg both confirmed that December 8th would work. We will set up at the Hospital on December 8th at 1330, and the veterans will begin to appear at 1400. Jim reminded members to bring sugar-free items as well as traditional treats. We plan to shut down after 1600, with Greg’s party at his house after that. Wives are encouraged to attend both events. Details for both events will follow.
Mike mentioned that the deadline for the next issue is October 31st. He said that the magazine needs articles, especially unique war stories. Contributors can send the articles directly to the magazine editor.
Museum Funding. With reference to the
This lead to a discussion about museum financing in general. Most of the members are still opposed to charging admission, but support giving out glasses, hats, or other items in exchange for donations, which we have been doing. Bill suggested that we try raffling off a Huey in
Museum Exhibits. Ed mentioned that one of the reasons to take the museum to
Jim mentioned that he would like to get more displays that would appeal to children, such a cockpit mock up complete with controls that they could sit in. Bill stated that he was still talking with people around the country about obtaining a Huey for us to fix up and display. He has located an individual in
Mike mentioned that we should check with other possible sources for Huey parts, including the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation, the
Museum at the
He mentioned that we need members to help set up or secure the museum, or to serve as museum docents on Saturday. Those interested should contact him or Jim McNamee. He also passed around a roster for sign up.
Wooden Models. The members discussed several wooden model sales issues:
–We agreed that we need more Hueys, which Bill will procure.
–Jim mentioned that we had voted at a previous meeting to authorize Bill to buy 35 wooden models, and that he had purchased about 30 of them. Jim stated that it would be more efficient to give Bill the authority to buy models to manage the inventory whenever he saw fit, without having to go through an approval process to spend the funds. After a brief discussion, the members voted to approve this procedure (Motion-Jerry Marshall, Second-Mike Law).
–Bill asked if it would be possible to have a page on the website devoted to model sales, with information and a contact name. Brian Foote stated that his son was working on technical issues with the site, but that he could add a page once that task was completed. Bill will provide digital images of some of the models and the model list, and will serve as the contact.
–Jim mentioned that he had researched past minutes to see if they addressed the issue of which museum fund was to receive the proceeds from model sales, as was first discussed at the August meeting. Bill Robie, the model sales coordinator, stated that, from the beginning, the revenue from model sales were for the museum, and that they should be added to the development fund, not the operating fund. They were to be used to add value to the asset.
–Al Harinck pointed out that the funds actually were named the “Helicopter War Museum Maintenance and Development” fund and the “Helicopter War Museum Operating” fund. He asked what type expenditures were made from each fund. This led to considerable discussion, which culminated in a resolution that the Operating Fund would be used exclusively to pay for expenses to move the museum from Point A to Point B (tractor and operator expenses), which are recurring variable costs, and that all other museum expenses would be paid from the Maintenance and Development Fund, which remain a combined fund. (Motion-Jerry Marshall, Second-Mike Law).
–The members then approved a resolution that all net proceeds from wooden model sales would be credited to the Maintenance and Development Fund (Motion-Bill Robie, Second-Jerry Marshall).
–For clarification, Jim asked if he should transfer all the funds currently in the Wooden Model Sales fund to the Helicopter War Museum Maintenance and Development fund and not carry the model sales fund as a separate line item on the Treasurer’s Report. Ed directed him to do that, and the members concurred. The Treasurer will keep track of wooden model sales revenues on a subsidiary ledger.
Museum Funds Discussion. This led to further discussion about how to pay for other items and merchandise sold for the benefit of the museum or given away in exchange for donations. Bill suggested, and the members agreed, that members be authorized to undertake “entrepreneurial” efforts (such as buying and selling merchandise) for the benefit of the museum, if that person funds the initiative and net proceeds are credited to the Maintenance and Development Fund. This idea was adopted by acclamation, with no formal vote, and members agreed that any chapter member who undertakes such an initiative would be licensed by the chapter to use museum and/or chapter logos (without any further formal chapter action). Fred Lyssy then stated that he would work with River Graphics to procure sweatshirts for sale.
–The members also agreed by acclamation that all donations received at museum venues (“pickle jar” receipts) would be credited to the museum Operating Fund. This would include revenue from the wine glasses, which are a “legacy of the pickle jar,” and which are given away for a $1.00 donation. It also would include the net revenue from any other items that are purchased by the chapter and given away for donations at museum venues (such as chapter hats). (Note—items purchased for this purpose would be paid for with funds from the chapter General Fund, and the General Fund would be reimbursed for the costs from the proceeds. This has not been the case for the hats in the past, which were purchased with funds from the Operating Fund. Jim will make the necessary retroactive adjustments to the chapter’s financial records to conform to this procedure.)
Museum Plaque for Medal of Honor Winners. Ed mentioned that Phil Lanphier proposed to him that the chapter place a plaque in the museum honoring all helicopter crew members from the Rocky Mountain Region who had received the Medal of Honor for actions during the Vietnam War. Mike said that he would research whether there were any such recipients and then talk with Phil about the idea.
Museum Attendance. Greg Mann suggested that we could increase attendance at our museum venues if we can arrange for a fire department or rescue team to appear with us. He stated that they usually are receptive to doing that, and are always well received. He stated that we possibly could get an air ambulance helicopter for an event as well.
Future Meetings/Events. Ed discussed future meetings/events, as follows (mark these dates on your calendars):
2008 Event Idea—Ed stated that he has researched the dinner excursion on the Royal Gorge train out of
Ed adjourned the meeting at 1150 hours.
Jim McNamee, Secretary/Treasurer
These minutes were approved at the November 10, 2007 meeting.
Twelve members were in attendance at the meeting.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.